What permits will I need in order to build?

It depends on what you are building. If you are building one single-family house, you will need a building permit and an agreement in lieu of plan. If you are building on Lake Anna you will need a special agreement in lieu for shoreline residential development. If you are not sure whether you need a permit or not, contact the Community Development Center and let them know about your development plans and we will assist you through the process. If you are disturbing more that 10,000 square feet, then you will likely need a land disturbing permit. This requires erosion and sediment control plans that will be reviewed by the Thomas Jefferson Soil and Water Conservation District. A land disturbing permit is required by both Louisa County and the Virginia Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). The permit allows landowners to lawfully clear, contour, or stockpile areas of dirt, construction, or roadway over 10,000 square foot in size. The penalties for not having, or following, a land disturbing plan can be stiff. County staff will work with you to achieve compliance of these important environmental regulations.

Show All Answers

1. What permits will I need in order to build?
2. Do I need a permit for a fence?
3. My permit indicates I need a foundation survey and/or setback certification, what does this mean?
4. Do I need an inspection?
5. Do I need a building permit for a shed?
6. How long will the permitting process take?
7. How can I obtain copies of my plat and deed?
8. How do I get a business license? Can I run a business from my home?
9. I have septic system questions.
10. I have retaining wall questions.