Modular Home

Permit Application Instructions Modular Home

  • All areas of this packet must be completed; all forms and items required for submittal must be complete prior to application being accepted. Items required for permit submittal are identified below and on page 3 of this packet. 
  • Permit may be submitted via postal, drop off or email to

Submittal Requirements Modular Homes


Required forms and submittals provided by applicant or applicant’s contractor: 

  • Deed (Cover Sheet w/ Clerk’s seal) or Recordation Receipt - if property is not listed in current owner’s name on GIS or property was recently acquired. 
    • Can be obtained at the Clerk’s office: 540-967-5312 
  • Plat of property- Can be obtained at Clerk’s office: 540-967-5312; cannot be a GIS image, google map image, or well/drainfield provider drawing; must show a drawn to scale plan or should include an engineered plan showing building location and the following elements:  Entrance, driveway, any right-of-way or easement 
    • Location and dimensions of all structures including decks, porches, and other attachments 
    • Setback measurements for all structures – NOTE: if your proposed structure appears to be within 20 feet of the minimum setbacks, a foundation survey and/or setback certification will be required. Setbacks are measured from the closest point of the structure (including any attachments) to the closest point of the property line or assumed right-of-way. 
  • Building Plans - one complete set 
    • Should include the Installation Instructions 
    • Scaled or fully dimensioned and shall bear the name, address, and contact information of the designer 
    • Plans shall be house-specific and only contain details, specs, etc. for that specific site; no generic, non-specific plans will be accepted 
    • Must include all attachments, decks, porches and overhangs 
  • State Contractor’s License (or Contractor License Exemption form in lieu of License) 
    • State Contractor’s License must include applicable trades 
  • Louisa County Business License (not required if submitting Contractor License Exemption form) 
  • Responsible Land Disturber’s Certificate (Still required even if property owner is builder)

Additional submittals that may be required: 

  • Pre-Engineered Product Specification Sheets – 2 sets; includes roof/floor truss specs, layouts, LVL’s, etc. 
  • Shrink/Swell Report - required due to the soil conditions if the property is located in one of the following tax map numbers (this list is NOT all-inclusive. Call the office to confirm property shrink/swell soil report requirements): 9, 10, 16, 17, 18, 21, 22, 28, 29, 30, 34, 36, 37, 38, 39, 42, 45, 46, 47, 51, 53, 54, 55, 56, 58, 61, 63, 67, 71, 72, 73, 74, 83, 84, 88, 89, 96, 97, 100 
    • Soil Bearing Report - required if the above report identifies a need for additional structural requirements or design 
  • VDOT Entrance Permit (or copy of existing entrance permit) - required if the driveway will come in contact with a state-maintained road. Contact VDOT at 540-967-3710. 
  • Town of Louisa or Town of Mineral Zoning Approval - if building within town limits 

Additional submittals required if project property is on Lake Anna Shoreline

  • Louisa County Shoreline Packet/New Single Family Dwelling 
    • If the project requires the use of alternative erosion control measures, Thomas Jefferson Soil & Water Conservation District must review and approve the plan prior to submission. 
    • If any portion of the project affects property owned by Dominion Power, approval is needed. It is recommended that Dominion Power be made aware of your project prior to submission. 

Download the PDF permit package for more information.PDF Download Icon