Social Media Comments Policy
Thank you for visiting our site and interacting with Louisa County's official social media accounts. The goal of the County's social media activities is to engage and inform the community regarding matters of public interest, as well as enhance transparency.
We are committed to transparent government and dialogue. We encourage you to submit your questions, comments, and concerns, but please note these are moderated online discussion sites.
We recognize social media is a 24/7 medium, and your comments are welcome at any time. However, given the need to manage our staff resources (your tax dollars), we generally only monitor comments and postings during regular business hours.
We monitor postings, comments, images and links and ask that they remain focused, suitable, respectful and truthful. We reserve the right to remove submissions that contain:
- Vulgar language
- Personal attacks of any kind
- Comments or content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, age, religion, gender, marital status, genetics, status with regard to public assistance, national origin, physical or intellectual disability or sexual orientation
- Spam comments or links to other sites
- Clearly off topic
- Advocate illegal activity
- Promote particular services, products, political candidates or political organizations
- Infringe on copyrights or trademarks
- Personally identifiable medical information or addresses and phone numbers of individual citizens
- Information that may compromise the safety, security or proceedings of public systems or any criminal or civil investigations. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Banning people: If there are repeated violations of the comments policy above, then Louisa County reserves the right to ban participation on platforms that permit organizations to ban users.
Platform rules: Please note that social media platforms have their own rules of conduct, so social media platforms may take their own action to remove comments or ban users, not Louisa County. Louisa County is not responsible for those actions.
Video disclaimer: Louisa County is not responsible for the content provided on “related” and “promoted” videos that are accessible from social media video channels. All viewers should note that these related videos and comments expressed on them do not necessarily reflect the opinions and position of the Louisa County or its officers and employees.
Archiving: Deleted comments are archived.
Private messages: Many social media platforms provide a non-public way to message official Louisa County social media accounts. Those conversations are public records and subject to Virginia Freedom of Information Act requests.
Redress process: If you think Louisa County took action wrongfully regarding your comments or participation on Louisa County social media accounts, you may petition Louisa County for review by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
Approved September 13, 2021